Friday, September 4, 2009

By Popular Demand: Phu Quoc Dog Photos

First, some background from Wikipedia:

"Phu Quoc ridgeback dogs are a breed of dog from Phu Quoc Island in Vietnam’s southern Kien Giang Province. According to Le Hoang Tam, Director of Vuong Trung Son Company, they are one of the world’s three rarest dogs with whorls on their backs, in addition to dogs from Thailand and Africa, as recorded by the International Association for Rare Dogs. According to old people on Phu Quoc Island, the dog was traditionally four main colours: spotted, black, yellow, and striped; however now the colours have become more varied."

(I like how they have cited the real experts: some guy named Le Hoang Tam who's head of a company no one's ever heard of, and, of course, old people. Such scholarship.)

Anyway here are a few photos. The first one I found online because it gives a good view of an entire dog, which is key. The second two are the ones I took of my favorite dog on the island, who liked to sleep under my chaise lounge with me, and who clearly proves that old people are living in the past when it comes to native dog coloration.

camera onecamera two

No comments:

Post a Comment