Thursday, February 4, 2010

A late entry

From the ever-practical Ms. Carolyn Nash:

"Good lord Molly...all you need is a beer bottle and a bit of fearlessness. And some fortitude-- the actually killing-it-dead process can take some time. Oh fuck it, i will just come to Cambodia and kill the fucker myself."

She was kind enough to attach supporting visual evidence, either to assure me of her cockroach killing prowess, or else to motivate me to find my own. I don't know. It's kind of gross. Maybe the only thing more vile than a cockroach is a smushed cockroach...in which case...maybe I don't want to smush any cockroaches after all?

2 comments:

  1. I have the same fear, but I also had cockroaches.... but here's a trick that worked for me: add a little dish washing liquid to cup of water, swish it around good, and dump it on the roach. That's it! Apparently they breathe through their skin, so this does 'em in good, and no mess.

    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I know. I am really late here. And I could have offered so many insights into the world of these horrid little monsters. I have fought battles with them myself (thus far the score is me 10, them 25 or thereabouts) and also made a good chunk of my career out of selling things to kill them. And you can kill them in so many ways. Lydia is correct - they 'breath' through their skin. Actually through small holes in their side. They also absorb all the things they crawl over - which completely ruins the 'clean' idea - just imagine where those little buggers crawl. Yuck. Anyway, if you are to spray a small amount of the Cambodian version of Raid across your doorstep every week or so, any roach dumb enough (and anything that can live without it's head for more than 2 minutes is considered dumb in my book) to crawl across your 'line in the sand' will soon die due to absorbing the amazing chemical. As for ill effects to you and yours, well after my nighttime run in with the roach in my bed I sprayed enough Raid in my room and pretty much directly on me to kill a small nation of cockroaches - and as of yet I have not grown another head or gone more crazy than I was before. So kill away my friend! And just be glad they aren't big enough to kill you. Because they would. And we all know that is true.

    ReplyDelete